Tim (the other one) in L.A.

Tim Hawkinson in L.A. - check it out. Above is Pentecost, 1999.
Link to NPR spot: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4802237

Ben Volta  – (Wednesday, 17 August, 2005)  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
GIERSCHICK  – (Thursday, 18 August, 2005)  

Ben, the only way I've ever seen Hawkinson so far, is in books...so that comment has both a resonancy and a certain meaningless to me (no offense!) only because of my having never seen his stuff in person. I wouldn't call his work influential on me per se, but I think more his acuity with ideas + execution. And maybe that's where the rub is - his concept is taking over his execution. I like promoting him, because I think he is a vital interface between (at least a certain part of) the faith community, and the contemporary art world; and a good way of promoting the mutual debate/conversation. And Twombly? Yes - I LOVE him.

Ben Volta  – (Thursday, 18 August, 2005)  

I think that the reason I removed my comment was b/c I saw my comment being kind of meaningless to anyone other than myself. so no offense taken at all. It is really great to see an artist that addressed faith in his work from a perspective that is positive, life affirming and simply interesting to a large audience.

Pentecost was an installation that I fell in love with. When I stumbled upon it I remember sending out a mass email on Circle's dialogue list sharing it with the church. I like how it pulls from Luke's narrative and gets you to scratch your head as to what in the world in Hawkinson thinking.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails