Sheaf drawings



About a week and a half ago, I drew a number of inkwash drawings, based on a shape which has been fascinating me recently: the sheaf; grain specifically. After a lot of doodling in months past, I came up with a quickly executed, stylized version of the sheaf, which would simultaneously be completely believable and recognizable to those who are familiar with this historically important motif, and at the same time be a svelte, refined version of that same motif; "smoothed" out, so to speak.

The drawings were largely successful; I did them all in about two hours, trying to maintain a particular shape-focused mindset; and they were all done on the same paper. This paper is from an old notebook, ruled for musical composition. Overall, I am very pleased with how they turned out, and I offer a few of my favorites for your perusal:








Ben Volta  – (Monday, 10 July, 2006)  

that paper looks great... it works really good with these..

congrats again on your show!

the fourth samba  – (Tuesday, 11 July, 2006)  

I went to the studio last night but didn't see these there. I love the way your handling the brush on these, bro. Nice departure!

GIERSCHICK  – (Tuesday, 11 July, 2006)  

Hey Rubens, been missing you. Busy summer? I have these hidden underneath some paper on my studio table...if you can find them, take a look. I just have them covered, because India ink will fade in bright sunlight.

the fourth samba  – (Thursday, 13 July, 2006)  

I miss you too, brother. Not busy but a bit overwhelmed...I guess that can be busy. Things are clearing up now, it's been great.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails