Meanwhile, back at the ranch...


(Crush and Strike, latex on panel, September 2005).


(October 3rd)
Some thoughts about Crush and Strike...the inspiration for the title comes from Genesis 3:15, NIV.
Over the last few weeks, I've been considering the iconic and conceptual possibilities of the "X" shape, and the "cross" shape - both rendered in a simple/condensed way. For a long time now, I've loved the enormity and simplicity wrapped up in both of these symbols. (And realized the trepidation with which a Christian artist dealing with contemporary imagery, must enter into dialogue with such a hackneyed and blunt-from-overuse symbol such as the cross). My initial aesthetic interest in the cross is certainly related to my Christianity, but I don't think I realized its reductive/iconic possibilities - for me, that is - until I really looked hard at (saw) the Blue Cross and Red Cross symbols, and realized what hugeness of meaning and context and relationships were involved even in just those particular applications of these shapes. And as far as the "X" symbol, it's a little more specialized...on the back of "dangerous" oil colors (Lead white, the cadmiums, etc.) there is a beautiful symbol of a black X inside of a orange box. I just love that symbol (for many of the same reasons I love the cross symbol)...and so I began appropriating it into my work. So, as almost an inevitability, these two symbols started becoming related in my mind and sketches over the last year or so...after a few years of bouncing around in my head, waiting for the right synapse. Because of my particular way of thinking about my art work, and my faith, they started becoming for me stand-ins for the opposing forces of good and evil; salvation and sin; etc. I like the concept of the symbols being so amazingly similar, but being essentially opposed: all it takes to get from one to the other is a slight twist. And, at least in this piece, their dimensions are exactly the same. But, what a difference. Of course, with colors enters a whole new level of possibilities...

Anonymous –   – (Friday, 07 October, 2005)  

Tim, I really enjoyed the thought processes behind this! It also reminded me of the passage in Numbers of Moses lifting up the bronze serpent in the desert. The "serpent" being the killer of the people later became the symbol in which they were to look to be healed.

Anonymous –   – (Friday, 07 October, 2005)  

Tim, I really enjoyed the thought processes behind this! It also reminded me of the passage in Numbers of Moses lifting up the bronze serpent in the desert. The "serpent" being the killer of the people later became the symbol in which they were to look to be healed.

Anonymous –   – (Saturday, 08 October, 2005)  

The cruciform also seems to connote a human with arms outstretched...the potential for embrace. Whereas the "x" suggests a more defensive pose.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails