Sign Ministry



Spotted these on our trip out to Huntingdon, PA...I believe they were put up by a Mennonite community in south-central PA. There was, and still is in some areas, an odd movement in some conservative Mennonite circles, to paint and put up these signs as a sort of public testimony to drivers-by. They are usually quoting scripture; oftentimes with a message imploring righteous living or a call to salvation. Vicki remarked that they are a stereotypically Mennonite witness: mostly passive; a belief statement not requiring a personal response; an invitation, or a handing-over of responsibility to the spoken-to. I denied it vehemently, of course. I thought the colors and scalloping were great.

Crystal  – (Tuesday, 03 October, 2006)  

Yeah. Putting Scripture on road signs has never seemed like an effective invitation to Christianity to me, although I do have to admit that the choice of James 3:17 is creative. (Though, after knowing that it was done by Mennonites, the word "peaceable" kind of screams at you.) That's one of my favorite verses (from one of my favorite books), and although I doubt it's getting much serious attention on a road sign, it's still interesting.

GIERSCHICK  – (Wednesday, 04 October, 2006)  

Crystal, it's funny how the blog-o-sphere has got me to "know" you better, and concurrently to find out how parallel our interests are...James is also one of my favorite books; possibly my favorite (along with Isaiah). He really says it like it is, and I like that. James is also creative with his use of language.

Crystal  – (Wednesday, 04 October, 2006)  

Exactly. I like James' style, and whenever I read it, I am profoundly convicted about something. It's the book that seems to "know me" the best.

Unknown  – (Tuesday, 10 October, 2006)  

This comment has nothing to do with the above post, but reflects your general interests.

There is a great story and slideshow at the New York Times about scientist and naturalist Thomas Eisner and the images he created using a copy machine. You need to check it out.

Eye-Catching Images of Nature, Made With a Common Machine

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails