Name droppin', Round 1

Yesterday, I was sitting and eating my lunch in the Lower Merion Township Park, and for whatever reason, began thinking of all the artists whose work I'd "worked with": a long list of art works that I've moved; packed; hung; dusted; took out of the frame; put back in the frame, etc. The list was quite extensive, and was kind of interesting to think about.

I know that some may accuse me of name dropping, but that's okay...on one level, it's just like the grocer listing off the brands of canned vegetables she stocks; or the plumber mentioning all the famous peoples' drains he's unclogged. They are just as invested in their line as I; I am interested personally in learning from what I work with, as well as them.

So, here goes; a list which will bore some and madden the rest...I'll begin with the more "close-to-home" artists, so to speak, and move from there...I've just put them in the form they came to mind. (The names in purple were/are Philadelphia-area based artists; the ones in rust have/had other Pennsylvania connections):

Picasso (just today, in fact)
Matisse
Renoir
Soutine
Cezanne
Monet
Manet
Seurat
Van Gogh
Warhol
Rauschenburg
Anselm Kiefer
di Chirico
Brice Marden
Judith Schaechter
Harry Bertoia
Corot
Chardin
Maurice Prendergast
William Glackens
Thomas Sulley
Mary Cassatt
Thomas Eakins
Robert Venturi
Ellsworth Kelly
Robert Ryman
Donald Judd
Richard Long
Jacopo (?) Tintoretto
Edward Hicks
Church
Andre Serrano
Sol Lewitt
Warren Rohrer
Richard Artschwager
Rembrandt
Goya
Martha Madigan
Karen Kilimnik
Miro
Agnes Martin
Marsden Hartley
Horace Pippin
Pascin

Okay, enough for now; I'll think of more later! There are several in my head, whose names escape me now.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails