Making peace with Pablo, part 2 of 2


(cont.) ...But this must be said - in both a pejorative and a laudatory way - not all of it is good. In fact, a lot of it is really quite awful. But, therein is the crux of the issue - each one of these pieces was both a movement to the next, and a piece unto itself. The former idea was never lost in the second: therefore some pieces scintillate, and others flatulate. But all of them were both a means and an end. Picasso was at the core, after all, simply a practicing artist. Why then is all of it so incessantly on display? Because of his international stardom; his name and reputation - as with any other rockstar artist - all of his work is ravenously bought, sold and traded, without aesthetic restraint. But those of us who can't afford a real Picasso, can be more discriminating, and take our time picking our favorites, according to what we know is good art, or what we've grown to appreciate regardless. And, having been thinking about monuments recently, I was struck by Picasso's "monumentality;" his hugeness that every artist, regardless of their desire or reticence to do so, must live in the shadow of, merely by the fact of having come after, rather than before him. And so, I've finally come to dealing with this shadow...

Another point to make about Picasso, was his virtuousity. Once I got past my disgust with some of his pieces - largely because of my above thoughts - I began to accept the fact that he was a virtuoso of mediums. No medium, that he chose to take on, was ever his master - his drive for artistic consummation was indefatigable, and exhausted nearly all media available. I had never seen his wooden people sculptures - often lifesize, which he painted and drew throughout the '50s; I had never seen his folded paper sculptures of figures, which were subsequently turned into concrete sculptures. He quickly, it seems, took to a medium, and turned it to his particular purposes; found his way through it.

I have begun healing my rift with Pablo; and it feels liberating. The doubts are still there, and I still thoroughly hate some of his work. But what better thing can one say of an artist, especially such an historically important and still-controversial artist - than I hate and love their work? I have grown to know him better through exposure and consideration. It's all about maintaining a conversation, isn't it?

The End (?)

Anonymous –   – (Thursday, 17 November, 2005)  

Tim,
beautiful thoughts!
Something Picasso said has stuck with me for a long time and has tremendously helped me to see and make "art" in a truer light. He said that when he was 12 years old he could draw like the great masters, but that it took him a lifetime to learn how to draw (or paint for that matter) like a child.

GIERSCHICK  – (Thursday, 17 November, 2005)  

Thanks Rubens; good to hear from you. I, too, have a favorite Picasso quote which goes something like, "you must first know the rules, in order to then break them."

And by the way, your paintings are looking great; I peeked in this morning. I particularly was struck with the one of your dad with an afro-like shape above his head, and the little striped shape up in the top-right hand corner...very nice!

Anonymous –   – (Thursday, 17 November, 2005)  

Brother,
good look on checking me out, I really appreciate it, hopefully we'll have some time to discuss things. I'm feeling the piece with the 3 circles...

To make work "like a child" and to "break the rules" will inevitably lead to a plethora of pieces that are completely awful, which eventually will lead us to the most magical ones we called "good", y'know. And the rate at which Picasso did what he did, it's understandable that the jewels lie scattered around so many growing pains. That secret is hard for me to patiently wait for at times. The secret of the "jewel", I mean. But i think the secret may lie in enjoying the agricultural process of our growth. Love, brother

GIERSCHICK  – (Thursday, 17 November, 2005)  

You are totally right about Picasso's untiring pushing towards a certain way of working, leaving much refuse, among which lay real jewels...I tried to mention that in my essay, but may have not been clear enough. The "joy is in the journey," huh?

yea, the circles piece...I'm glad you noticed it, although I'm stuck on it right now. Also, I've been getting some pieces ready for another show coming up really fast, so I've been busy with that. Tell Mark I've been surprised almost every time I walk into your studios, to see where he's been taking that crazy painting...

Anonymous –   – (Friday, 18 November, 2005)  

brother,
here's is the quote in its entirety:

"When I was their age, I could draw like Raphael, but it took me a lifetime to learn to draw like them." - Pablito

Anonymous –   – (Thursday, 01 December, 2005)  

Tim,
here's a quote that I think is relevant to this in speaking of children and art making:
"When my daughter was about 7 years old, she asked me one day what I did at work. I told her I worked at the college - that my job wasto teach people how to draw. She stared back at me, incredulous, and said, "You mean they forget?"
_ Howard Ikemoto

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails