Little words

Over the last year, I've been noticing the proliferation of short fiction: smallish, often beautifully packaged and uniquely presented. Maybe it's just that I'm beginning to pay attention to fiction again, after a frustrating hiatus of pap and bad circumstance...and this is a good re-entry into it before finally picking up that W. Somerset Maugham or Henry James that have been staring at me for a long time.

Here are some of the books which have been inhabitating my thoughts recently (including some non-fiction):


The Tent - Margaret Atwood

...this little book is a collection of short - some very short - pieces that hover somewhere between folktales, fables and parables. They feel ancient, but stunningly prescient...like opening up an old cigar box, filled with your childhood treasured objects and trinkets, after having forgotten about them for years...and them reminding you, somehow, of who you are, and who you should be.


Memories of My Melancholy Whores - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

...a strange and gorgeous little novel, of the malleability of age; the resiliency of humanity, the beauty of life and the weird situations we create around ourselves at times. Garcia Marquez's works always scintillate and crackle with the heat and melliflousness of post-colonial South America (at least what I know of it from reading).


What Jesus Meant - Garry Wills

... a brilliant (I'm still working on it) revisiting of the life of Jesus, cut down to the core of the Gospels, complete with Wills's own meaty and wonderful translations of New Testament Greek. This little devotional-type book will be controversial, but feels so true to the heart of Jesus' ministry and purpose through his father...


And here are some that are on my upcoming list:

Gotz and Meyer - David Albahari
the days of awe - Hugh Nissenson


I'd be curious to learn if any of you have read any of these books, and would also love to hear your opinion of them. Any one else been noticing all the little books on the shelves recently?

the fourth samba  – (Monday, 27 February, 2006)  

Tim, good post
I love Gabriel Garcia Marques. Have you ever read "One hundred years of solitude". We just put up a bookshelf in the apt. and I've been looking at books that I started reading but never got done such as "The man who was Thursday" by Chesterton and "From dawn to decadence" by Jacques Barzun (this one is quite thick though). Lately though I've been wanting to read poetry mostly. Federico Garcia Lorca, Saul Williams, Octavio Paz. Oh, have you ever read "The famished road" by Ben Okri?! Quite amazing, poetry, fiction and surrealism seamlessly. one love, Tim

GIERSCHICK  – (Monday, 27 February, 2006)  

hey Rubens, I've never read Hundred Years of Solitude, but whenever GGM is brought up, so is that book with a recommendation, so, some day...I've read that Chesterton recently; (recommend it highly); I have the Barzun, but that's another that's been staring at me for a long while from the bookshelf. And poetry, yes...I forgot to mention that I've been reading some of dat too. Charles Wright's Buffalo Yoga is a current favorite.

the fourth samba  – (Tuesday, 28 February, 2006)  

Thursday is quite nice I just gotta get that one rainy afternoon... I'll make sure to llok ou for "Buffalo Yoga". Thanks

the fourth samba  – (Tuesday, 28 February, 2006)  

Thursday is quite nice I just gotta get that one rainy afternoon... I'll make sure to llok ou for "Buffalo Yoga". Thanks

the fourth samba  – (Tuesday, 28 February, 2006)  

I meant "look out" not llok ou. That's my imaginary Sigur Ros language coming out. Sorry

Ben Volta  – (Wednesday, 01 March, 2006)  

I really want to read some Marques... and Atwood keeps popping up everywhere...

Nadine Gordimer has a great collection of short stories about apartheid in South Africa. And Salman Rushdie shorts are amazing also...

+ there is always David Sedaris... I have the audio of Naked and Me Talk Pretty One Day in the studio anyone wants to borrow.. I think I have the Gordimer book in there too.

Sigur ros language! ha h a ha

the fourth samba  – (Wednesday, 01 March, 2006)  

Yo Sedaris' "Me talk pretty one day" has got to be one of the most hilarious pieces of literature ever written. Speaking of hilarious and Marquez, the first time I picked up "One hundred years of solitude", I sat in the bookstore and read the first 20 pages laughing hysterically. ONE

GIERSCHICK  – (Wednesday, 01 March, 2006)  

hi guys...sedaris is one of those guys i have more patience with him aurally than visually (words). But I should give Me Speak Pretty another try.
Ben definitely read Marquez...One hundred years of solitude is great.

the fourth samba  – (Wednesday, 01 March, 2006)  

Tim is right, Ben. I won a copy I can let you borrow it.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails